Swim and Survive is a comprehensive comprehensive swimming and water safety initiative of Royal Life Saving that seeks to increase the swimming and water safety skills of all Australian children in order to prevent drowning and increase participation in safe aquatic activity.
The initiative ensures that the essential components of personal survival and water safety are provided, in addition to a process of developing strong and effective swimming technique. Swim and Survive is delivered in pools schools and other aquatic locations across the country by qualified swimming and water safety instructors.
Since its inception over 30 years ago, over 15 million Australian children have participated in the Swim and Survive program.
Wonder, Courage and Active are the Swim and Survive initiative programs. They reflect the hopes and aspirations of children and families as they embark on a lifetime of fun and safety in the water.
Each program is structured into skill strands that ensure a balanced, comprehensive instructional approach to a child’s aquatic education. Each of the 3 programs has a set of Award levels to guide the Instructor and participant through the stages of aquatic education. The 3 programs with their Award Levels provide a comprehensive structured resource of Swimming and Water Safety.
All of our instructors are industry qualified and hold a current blue card.
The Swim and Survive program is divided across three different awards, with levels within each.
The Wonder levels are focused on water familiarisation, designed for children aged 6 to 36 months.
- Wonder Award 1 (formally known as Starfish at the Plantation): For children aged 6 months – 12 months
- Wonder Award 2 (formally known as Jellyfish at the Plantation): For children aged 12 months – 24 months
- Wonder Award 3 (formally known as Clownfish at the Plantation): For children aged 24 months – 36 months
Courage is primarily focused on building water confidence, and has 5 levels (Courage 1 – Courage 5).
The Active levels are focused on teaching and developing swimming and water safety skills.
- Active Award 1 – Water Discovery
- Active Award 2 – Water Awareness
- Active Award 3 – Water Sense
- Active Award 4 – Water Wise
- Active Award 5 – Junior Swim and Survive
- Active Award 6 – Swim and Survive
- Active Award 7 – Senior Swim and Survive
Classes, instructors and lesson contents are subject to change without notice.